For once the BBC has targeted the green dream. Click Here
The projects that have been approved are:
- Beatrice offshore wind, Outer Moray Firth
- Burbo Bank offshore wind, Liverpool Bay
- Drax 2nd biomass conversion unit, Selby
- Dudgeon offshore wind, north of Cromer
- Hornsea offshore wind, off the East Yorkshire coast
- Lynemouth biomass conversion, Ashington, Northumberland
- Teesside biomass with combined heat and power, Middlesbrough
- Walney extension offshore wind, off Walney Island
Crucially DECC has not included any provision for clawing the money back if returns are excessive, something that has drawn the ire of Margaret Hodge, chair of the Commons committee of public accounts.
“As the NAO’s report recognises without that investment, projects would have been unable to go ahead or been significantly delayed – putting our future energy security at risk.”
May we suggest that committing us to £16 billion is what is really putting our energy security at risk! Or was it just simple PANIC?